Posts for: July, 2017
Learn more about this condition that is the leading cause of death in the US.
Your heart is a pretty powerful machine, pumping approximately 1.5 gallons of blood every minute to make sure the rest of our body gets the vital nutrients it needs to survive. To say our heart is important is an understatement. Of course, our Mansfield and Desoto, TX, cardiologist, Dr. Manish Patel, believes that knowledge is power. Learn more about heart disease so you know what to do to prevent it.
Some common types of heart disease include:
- Coronary artery disease (this is the most common type)
- Heart Attack
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Arrhythmias (irregular heart rhythm)
- Heart valve disease
Warning symptoms of coronary artery disease include:
- Chest pain and pressure
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Irregular heart rhythm
One question our Mansfield and Desoto heart doctor gets a lot is, “What puts someone at risk for heart disease?” While anyone can develop this condition, there are definitely certain risk factors that could increase your chances of developing heart disease including:
- Being obese
- High cholesterol
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- A family history of heart attack or stroke
So, what can you do to prevent heart disease from happening to you? You’ll be happy to hear that you could stave off this serious problem just by altering some simple everyday habits.
- Examine your diet: You should be getting enough fruits and vegetables in your diet everyday. Stay away from processed and junk foods, and limit red meat and alcohol.
- Monitor your blood pressure and cholesterol: Since high cholesterol and high blood pressure are two major risk factors you’ll want to make sure they stay within healthy, manageable levels.
- Exercise regularly: This doesn’t necessarily mean that you have to purchase a gym membership or sweat to death on the treadmill, but getting some heart-pumping exercise for at least 30 minutes a day is ideal. Swimming, biking and even a fast-paced walk through the neighborhood are all great activities.
- Quit smoking: If you are a smoker, ditching the habit can go a long way to protecting the health of your heart.
Do you have questions about heart disease? Noticing any symptoms that give you pause? Don’t hesitate to reach out to Precision Cardiac & Vascular Care in Desoto and Mansfield, TX, with questions or concerns.